SmartLaw: Attorney and Lawyer Referral Service. Divorce, bankruptcy, criminal, accident, business
The Los Angeles County Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service, the largest and oldest such service in the United States, has hundreds of pre-screened, qualified and insured lawyers in the Los Angeles area who can help you with your legal issues. Contact us now and our courteous, professionally trained staff will help you connect you with the right lawyer. The LRIS is a nonprofit public service of LACBA.

#168 Agencies assisting seniors

mp3 #168 Referrals to Community Service Agencies Assisting Senior Citizens (mp3 file)

This message provides referrals to community service agencies assisting senior citizens, but only lists a few of the many human service agencies that assist seniors. For additional information, you may wish to look in the following sections of your telephone directory: in the front index under the heading "Senior Life," or in the Government section under the heading "Senior Citizens Services", or in the Yellow Pages under the heading "Senior Citizens Services and Organizations".

This message lists fifteen (15) agencies that provide assistance with information and referrals, nursing homes, in-home care and other healthcare issues, and government benefits

Each listing mentions the agency name, describes their service, and provides the agency's telephone number. It is important to call these agencies first; many of them do not accept walk-in clients. Okay, here is the list:

For General Information about Senior Services. these agencies may be helpful:

The American Association of Retired Persons (known as A.A.R.P.) provides general information and referrals, as well as discounts on insurance and travel. For more information on membership visit or call (310) 427-9611.

The Los Angeles City Department of Aging provides information and referrals for services to seniors throughout the City of Los Angeles, including a network of Senior Multi-purpose Centers, Nutrition Programs, and Home Delivered Meals. For more information on services they offer visit or call them at (213) 368-4030.

The California Department of Aging provides various programs and services. Their telephone number is (916) 419-7500. Again, the number is (916) 419-7500. They can also be found online at

To be referred to senior centers, clubs, and city-wide events, call the Senior Citizen Centers of LA City at (213) 485-4851.

Also, ask the reference librarian at you local library for a copy of the most recent Los Angeles County Social Service Resource Directory, by Glenda Riddick-Norton.

Next is information related to nursing homes.

To be referred to board and care or convalescent homes, call the County Nursing Home Information and Referral Service at (800) 427-8700. Again, the toll-free number is (800) 4278700.

To make a complaint about nursing home and residential care facilities, call the  California Ombudsman Program at (800) 231-4024. Again, the toll-free number is (800) 231-4024. If you are a resident of a nursing home or community care facility, you may also call the  Ombudsman Program of Los Angeles City & County Long Term Care Ombudsman Program at Wise Senior Services. Their toll-free number is (800) 334-WISE (9473), Again, their telephone number is (800) 334-WISE (8473).

Next is information related to in-home care and other healthcare issues.

In-home Supportive Services of the Los Angeles Department of Public Services provides eligible seniors with in-home assistance so they can remain safely in their homes rather than an institution. Their telephone number is (213) 744-5654.

Westside Center for Independent Living helps people with disabilities to maintain more self-sufficient and productive lives. Services include: attendant registry, housing information, advocacy, independent living skills, counseling, and information and referral. Their telephone number is (310) 390-3611.

If you have complaints or questions about hospitals, clinics, or nursing homes, call theCalifornia Department of Health Services at (916) 445-4171.

If you need assessment, treatment, or family services for persons with Alzheimer disease, call the Alzheimer’s Association at 800-272-3900 or visit them online at Again, the number is 800-272-3900.

If you need comprehensive mental health, health education, and health screening services, call the Center for Healthy Aging at (310) 829-4715. Again, the number is (310) 829-4715.

The Elder Abuse Hotline accepts calls regarding elder and dependent adult abuse victims, concerned citizens and potential or actual abusers. They provide counseling and act as advocates on behalf of clients who cannot effectively act on their on behalf. Their toll-free telephone number is (800) 992-1660. Again, the number is (800) 992-1660.

Next is information related to Government Benefits.

The United States Social Security Administration answers questions regarding Social Security and SSI programs; MediCare sign-ups and other MediCare information; and information about benefits for survivors and people with disabilities. Their toll-free number is (800) 772-1213.

If you need legal assistance regarding your government benefits, listen to message number 106 for a list of legal services agencies that assist seniors.

For additional community service information listen to message #167 which describes, "211 LA County", a free human services information and referral service.

If you need information about legal services for seniors, listen to message #106 for a list of legal services agencies that assist seniors.

Back to Top